Sunday, February 8, 2009

Three topics for thought

So what will I write about?
I think for the moment I am going to use this blog as a personal notepad to explore those things which provoke my own thoughts. In the future, perhaps there will be comments, readership direction, arguments, and discussion - all the fun stuff - to help guide things.

But how about three categories to start with:

1. Response to news/controversies/compelling situations. The internet hosts intense discussion (of greatly varying quality) like no other forum. Often the very nature of the arguments, the way people on both sides attack an issue, is more compelling than the issue itself. This is the kind of stuff I like to dig into.

2. Reviews of/musings on culture - music, movies, food, drink. The nature of art in words and images (making an attempt at artistic creation, such as writing a book - try it! - can give one pretensions of understanding). Connoisseurship - why explore other things when what sits on your plate or wafts into your ears is perfectly satisfying? (Yes, there's an answer! Stay tuned; I'm coming up with it right now...)

3. Happenings in my own life/personal philosophy/discoveries. When something significant happens, something that affects my thinking. None of that "I went to a party last night and I saw this friend but I didn't say hi 'cause she was with some other people I don't really like...etc. etc."
But you know, something like "It seems to me that passing an acquaintance without exchanging a greeting adds more distance to the relationship than simply having no contact for a period of time" could be a legitimate starting point for some rumination.

Anyway, that's three categories.
Now one statement:

If you read this blog, your thinking should be provoked. This is my call to every reader who happens along. If I tackle issues that challenge me, I should hope that they also challenge others. If not, a) I'm not doing a good job and b) my thinking must be sub-par - and really, I should probably give this nonsense up.

But I don't think that will be the case (again, assuming I carry on as planned). In everything I aspire to make my thought liquid, to let it cover all the contours of a problem and seek out the cracks. I aspire to think deeply and truly, to remove myself as fully as I can and in this way develop an understanding apart from the fleeting things that are sensation and emotion.

Yeah. Now watch me go the way of most startup bloggers and disappear entirely.
Actually, let's try this. Let's kick off some actual content with the next post, which I will call "The Most Important Thing." Yep, going for broke.

No comments:

Post a Comment