Tuesday, August 18, 2009

A good quotation

Before finishing up The Fool's Discontent I have to mention a great quote from Andrew Klavan (author/screenwriter, apparently, though I've never heard of him) in an article for the Wall Street Journal.

It is a sentiment that I agree with, so far as I understand how things work:

Free people can treat each other justly, but they can't make life fair. To get rid of the unfairness among individuals, you have to exercise power over them. The more fairness you want, the more power you need. Thus, all dreams of fairness become dreams of tyranny in the end.

I am no "quotes" person - In almost all cases I prefer working out my own way of verbalizing a sentiment to finding another speaker that shares the same view.

But this one statement struck me in a funny way. I don't know why, exactly. It's not as though there is something unusually perceptive in it, or that the words are put together especially elegantly. I mean, I think I would have said a very similar thing in the context of the right conversation.

I guess it's just the simplicity and profundity all at once. Read the quote. Is this not truth? Is this not what history has repeatedly demonstrated to us? What if every American citizen - especially given our current political issues - were to consider this sentiment, in these words? This much is sure: we would all have a much better understanding of our own personal political positions.

Oh, by the way, the article, which is right here, is a hypothetical look at "death panel" situations that presumably will arise if the President gets his way with healthcare reforms. Not sure the article, aside from the quote above, is something to take too seriously.

But then again, who knows? I guess I'll be good either way if I can just avoid the cancer.

No comments:

Post a Comment